Halswell’s Lost Orangery

and a history of Orangeries in the Country House. 

The Orangery at Halswell existed from at least 1756, the date of the earliest map of Halswell known to exist. It appears to have still been standing in 1956 when the Ordnance Survey map of that date still shows the building.  The exact dates of its construction and demolition are otherwise uncertain.

1898 estaate

Halswell from the South Meadow, with the agricultural buildings in the foreground, the Dovecote and Tudor Manor in the centre ground, the Baroque North Wing in the distance and the Orangery to the right.

Continue reading